At SPM, the pursuit of sustainability guides our approach to business. We fully understand that responsible mining is fundamental to our long-term success.We therefore plan, design and operate assets in a manner that improves social, environmental and safety performance while enhancing shareholder value.
Southern Peaks Mining is the first mining company in Peru to obtain a renewable energy certificate by using 100% renewable energy. The migration to renewable energy consumption implies a significant reduction in our carbon footprint and shows our commitment to high environmental standards. In June 2020, SPM signed an agreement with Statkraft which states all the energy consumed comes from renewable (hydraulic) sources.
The agreement is in place until 2033 and grants 132GWh with 18 MW power for our flagship operation, Compañía Minera Condestable, and it will extend the same standards for our future operation in Ariana, which is currently under construction.
The international certifier AENOR will oversee that the energy consumed by Southern Peaks Mining comes from emission-free sources and that it is incorporated into the electrical grid system that will be destined for our exclusive consumption.
Consuming 132 GWh per year, we will decrease our CO2 equivalent emissions by 9,945 tons, according to the national electricity grid´s emission factor calculated by the Ministry of Energy and Mines (MINEM) in 2018.
SPM is committed to helping build healthy, vibrant communities in the areas where we operate. We contribute to organizations, institutions and initiatives that strengthen communities in the areas of direct and indirect influence of our operations. We develop partnerships and contribute to sustainable development projects with local impact, focusing in four key categories: health, education, environment, and community.
5 Year Strategic Social Plan through community and district support.
1/3 of CMC workforce from Mala District; 6-month inhouse mining training programme for locals.
Children in Mala influence area benefit from CMC nutrition, health, and dental care programmes.
Infrastructure, teacher-training, job generation and donations to Mala influence area.
We are committed to monitoring and managing the environmental impacts of our activities to secure a sustainable future for the communities that live in the area of influence of our operations. Environmental matters are considered during all stages of our activities. Environmental and social impact assessments are undertaken as part of the feasibility process for new projects and thorough environmental due diligence is conducted as part of our M&A evaluation process. We strive to improve our overall environmental performance at all levels and stages of our operations.
Comply with applicable environmental laws and regulations.
Comply with ISO 14001 procedures for environmental management.
Comply with the applicable Environmental Management Plan and Mine Closure Plan.
65% of processed water in plant is reused in the mineral recovery process at Condestable.
100% of water used in process plant in Ariana will come from mine dewatering; no use of surface water (lakes).
Condestable is the first mine in Peru to use 100% renewable energy.
SPM cooperates with waste management programmes promoted by serious NGOs.
We believe in taking care of our planet and focus on giving back to society. Therefore, we cooperate with waste management programmes promoted by serious NGOs, where we not only help take care of the environment but also support local communities.We collaborate with Peruvian NGO “Ayudando Abrigando”, and in 2019 donated over 39,800 plastic bottles, helping less fortunate communities receive winter blankets made out of the recycled plastic from those bottles. In 2020, we donated 870 kilograms of plastic bottles.
Safety is a core value at SPM, and we believe it is possible to work without serious injuries. Our objective is “Zero Injuries” in all our operations.
Our vision for safety: “be the mining company with the best
practices and safety standards”.
At SPM safety is about people – not numbers. We recognize that our employees and contractors play a key role in achieving our safety objectives, and we are committed towards building a safety culture where everyone knows that they can make a
difference and where all have the knowledge, competence and desire to work safely. Our Health & Safety Management System,
certified by OHSAS 18001, uses various tools implemented to
THE COPPER MARK
Compañía Minera Condestable (CMC), a company belonging to the Peruvian group Southern Peaks Mining (SPM), has been awarded The Copper Mark certification. This prestigious certification for copper-producing companies has for the first time in the world recognized a medium-sized mining company with world-class standards.
The company underwent a major transformation based on its Constant Innovation and Sustainability pillars. As a result, it has been able to meet the guidelines required by The Copper Mark, demonstrating a responsible production practice aligned with contributing to the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), ICMM standards, and other international standards.
“The Copper Mark certification awarded to Compañía Minera Condestable is a very important achievement for the company and for mining in Peru. We hope to have paved the way for large, medium-sized and small mining companies established in the country to choose to certify to the highest standards that they operate sustainably,” said Adolfo Vera, CEO of Southern Peaks Mining.
To obtain the certification, the mining company went through an exhaustive process, in which environmental criteria – such as reducing its carbon footprint and the sustainable use of water – as well as social and corporate governance criteria, were reviewed. The Copper Mark audit team traveled to the area and was able to review first-hand how the company has been developing its work and improving people’s quality of life.
CARBON FOOTPRINT RECOGNITION
Southern Peaks Mining has successfully implemented the first level (Measurement) in the management of greenhouse gases program by the Ministry of the Environment of Peru. This achievement reinforces our commitment with carbon footprint & environmental matters.
Minera Condestable has also successfully implemented the first level (Measurement) in the management of greenhouse gases program by the Ministry of the Environment of Peru. This achievement reinforces our commitment with carbon footprint & environmental matters.
- REPORTE DE SOSTENIBILIDAD SOUTHERN PEAKS MINING 2021
- REPORTE DE SOSTENIBILIDAD SOUTHERN PEAKS MINING 2020
- DECLARACIÓN DE VERIFICACIÓN LIMITADA E INDEPENDIENTE DEL INFORME DE SOSTENIBILIDAD 2020 DE SOUTHERN PEAKS MINING
CORPORATE POLICIES AND GUIDELINES
- POLÍTICA DE ATENCIÓN DE RECLAMOS DENUNCIAS SUGERENCIAS Y MECANISMOS DE REPARACIÓN
- POLÍTICA DE TRANSPARENCIA Y DIVULGACIÓN
- POLÍTICA CADENA DE SUMINISTROS EN LAS ÁREAS DE CONFLICTO O DE ALTO RIESGO
- POLÍTICA CORPORATIVA AMBIENTAL
- POLÍTICA CORPORATIVA DE CAMBIO CLIMÁTICO Y CONSUMO DE ENERGÍA
- POLÍTICA DE CIERRE DE MINAS
- POLÍTICA DE DERECHOS HUMANOS
- POLÍTICA DE DERECHOS LABORALES
- POLÍTICA DE GESTIÓN DE RELAVES
- POLÍTICA DE GESTIÓN SOCIAL, RELACIONES COMUNITARIAS Y DESARROLLO SOSTENIBLE
- POLÍTICA DE SEGURIDAD PATRIMONIAL Y GESTIÓN DE CRISIS Y EMERGENCIAS
- POLÍTICA DE ANTISOBORNO Y ANTICORRUPCIÓN.
- GUÍA DE GESTIÓN DE LA CADENA DE SUMINISTRO: ÉTICA, TRANSPARENCIA Y REQUISITOS MÍNIMOS
- POLÍTICA CORPORATIVA DE COMPRAS
- POLÍTICA DE CONFLICTO DE INTERES
- POLÍTICA DE PREVENCIÓN DEL ACOSO U HOSTIGAMIENTO SEXUAL LABORAL
- POLÍTICA DE PRIVACIDAD DE DATOS
- POLITICA DE TRATAMIENTO DE LA INFORMACIÓN CONFIDENCIAL Y PRIVILEGIADA
- POLITICA DE SALUD Y SEGURIDAD DE COMUNIDADES
- POLÍTICA DE SEGURIDAD Y SALUD OCUPACIONAL, MEDIO AMBIENTE Y SOSTENIBILIDAD
- POLÍTICA DE GESTIÓN DE FATIGA Y SOMNOLENCIA
- PROCEDIMIENTO DE RECLUTAMIENTO Y SELECCIÓN
- CÓDIGO DE ÉTICA Y CONDUCTA EN NUESTRAS RELACIONES COMERCIALES
CERTIFICATES AND RECOGNITIONS
- CERTIFICADO ISO 14001:2015 COMPAÑÍA MINERA CONDESTABLE
- CERTIFICADO ISO 45001:2015 COMPAÑÍA MINERA CONDESTABLE
- CERTIFICADO DE ENERGÍA DE ORIGEN RENOVABLE 2020
- CERTIFICADO DE ENERGÍA DE ORIGEN RENOVABLE 2021
- CERTIFICADO DE ENERGÍA DE ORIGEN RENOVABLE 2022
- RECONOCIMIENTO PROGRAMA DE NEGOCIOS COMPETITIVOS DE GLOBAL REPORTING INITIATIVE 2020
- RECONOCIMIENTO PROGRAMA DE NEGOCIOS COMPETITIVOS DE GLOBAL REPORTING INITIATIVE 2021
- RESOLUCIÓN CERTIFICADO AZUL COMPAÑÍA MINERA CONDESTABLE 2021
- RESOLUCIÓN CERTIFICADO AZUL COMPAÑÍA MINERA CONDESTABLE 2022
- CERTIFICADO AZUL COMPAÑÍA MINERA CONDESTABLE 2022
- CERTIFICADO THE COPPER MARK COMPAÑIA MINERA CONDESTABLE
CARBON FOOTPRINT AND WATER FOOTPRINT
- REPORTE DE MEDICIÓN DE HUELLA HÍDRICA 2017 COMPAÑÍA MINERA CONDESTABLE
- PRESENTACIÓN – CERTIFICADO AZUL DE LA AUTORIDAD NACIONAL DE AGUA
- REPORTE DE MEDICIÓN DE HUELLA DE CARBONO SOUTHERN PEAKS MINING 2019-2020 (RESUMEN EJECUTIVO)
- CERTIFICADO HUELLA DE CARBONO SPM 2019
- CERTIFICADO HUELLA DE CARBONO CMC 2019
- CERTIFICADO HUELLA DE CARBONO SPM 2020
- CERTIFICADO HUELLA DE CARBONO CMC 2020
- REPORTE DE MEDICIÓN DE HUELLA DE CARBONO CMC 2021
- REPORTE DE MEDICIÓN DE HUELLA DE CARBONO CMC 2022
ENVIRONMENTAL MANAGEMENT INSTRUMENTS
- MODIFICATORIA DEL ESTUDIO DE IMPACTO AMBIENTAL 2012 – COMPAÑÍA MINERA CONDESTABLE (RESUMEN EJECUTIVO)
- ESTUDIO DE IMPACTO AMBIENTAL 2014 – ARIANA OPERACIONES MINERAS (RESUMEN EJECUTIVO) PARTE 1
- ESTUDIO DE IMPACTO AMBIENTAL 2014 – ARIANA OPERACIONES MINERAS (RESUMEN EJECUTIVO) PARTE 2
- RESULTADO DEL MONITOREO AMBIENTAL PARTICIPATIVO 2021 – COMPAÑIA MINERA CONDESTABLE PARTE 1
- RESULTADO DEL MONITOREO AMBIENTAL PARTICIPATIVO 2021 – COMPAÑÍA MINERA CONDESTABLE PARTE 2
- RESULTADO DEL MONITOREO AMBIENTAL PARTICIPATIVO 2022 – ARIANA OPERACIONES MINERAS
- PARTICIPACIÓN CIUDADANA
- PROGRAMA DE MONITOREO AMBIENTAL CMC
- ITS III ARIANA
- ITS IV CONDESTABLE
- PLAN PARA EL MANEJO SOSTENIBLE DE RESIDUOS SÓLIDOS AOM
- PROGRAMA DE MONITOREO Y VIGILANCIA AMBIENTAL PARTICIPATIVO AOM
- MECANISMO DE RECLAMACIÓN
- CMC COMPROMETIDO CON LOS DERECHOS HUMANOS
- LUCHEMOS CONTRA EL DENGUE
- MEIA II CMC
- LÍNEA BASE AMBIENTAL Y SOCIAL
- SOBRE SPM
NEWSLETTER “SPM SOSTENIBLE”
- Boletín SPM Sostenible – Agosto 2021
- Boletín SPM Sostenible – Junio 2021
- Boletín SPM Sostenible – Julio 2021
- Boletín SPM Sostenible – Octubre 2021
- Boletín SPM Sostenible – Setiembre 2021
- Boletín SPM Sostenible – Marzo 2022
- Boletín SPM Sostenible – Julio 2022
- Boletín SPM Sostenible – Diciembre 2022
- Boletín SPM Sostenible – Mayo 2023
- Boletín SPM Sostenible – Agosto 2023
NEWSLETTER “SPM News”
- Boletín SPM News – Enero 2022
- Boletín SPM News – Febrero 2022
- Boletín SPM News – Marzo 2022
- Boletín SPM News – Abril 2022
- Boletín SPM News – Mayo 2022
- Boletín SPM News – Junio 2022
- Boletín SPM News – Julio 2022
- Boletín SPM News – Agosto 2022
- Boletín SPM News – Setiembre 2022
- Boletín SPM News – Octubre 2022
- Boletín SPM News – Noviembre 2022
- Boletín SPM News – Diciembre 2022
- Boletín SPM News – Enero 2023
- Boletín SPM News – Febrero 2023
- Boletín SPM News – Marzo 2023
- Boletín SPM News – Abril 2023
- Boletín SPM News – Mayo 2023
- Boletín SPM News – Junio 2023
- Boletín SPM News – Julio 2023
- Boletín SPM News – Agosto 2023
NEWSLETTER “CONDESTABLE INFORMA”